Soooo... We're in Quarantine

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Hi! You guessed it... it's been a while! As you all know, we are really in a wild time right now. For future me reading this and perhaps someone who may somehow be living under a rock, we are in the midst of a very real, very scary pandemic. The Coronavirus has absolutely rocked our worlds, and not in a fun way. Many are losing their jobs, homes, and even lives. This is no joke. 

For a quick update: as of right now, I am in my last quarter of my senior year at SCAD, and unfortunately have had to move home for the remainder of the school year. My graduation has been canceled, as well as all other school events: fashion shows, film screenings, gallery openings, all final shows have been canceled. A pretty big deal for seniors. It's a really tough time for a lot of us. I am on day 27 of quarantine, I have not left the house once besides picking up my prescription once, going on two bike rides, and going back to Savannah to move everything home in less than a 12 hour period.

A lot of people have the mentality that, "now that we have all this time what a better time than now to get abs! Start a podcast! Write a book! Code an app!" While that is all well and good, I just want to remind you that it is TOTALLY okay to take time off. We are going through a life changing experience, it's completely okay to cope in a way that doesn't involve innovation and creation. 

I've noticed a lot of pressure to be creative. Part of me wants to say, "now that I'm in quarantine, I'm going to blog everyday and make videos four times a week and do IGTV everyday!" when in reality, changing up my routine from Savannah, moving home and having to work from home while not knowing what is going to happen next is exhausting physically and mentally. I think I am just going to take my time and take things slowly, and that is okay. 

At first I was really upset at the cancelation of classes and especially graduation, but as COVID-19 gets more serious I am really just counting my lucky stars that I am fortunate enough to be able to be home, safe with my family. I don't know what I would do if someone in my life got infected with the virus, let alone passed away. It's happening to people every minute. So I guess I'm just here to write this little update to say that I am incredibly grateful for my situation, and although it's super scary and difficult to wrap my head around all the tragedy, it's really about taking it day by day. We aren't machines, a time of tragedy isn't a time to be churning out content, it's a time to grieve and process. I'm doing my best to stay healthy, stay on top of my work, and try to adjust to life at home. 

Here's to trying to see the bright side of things. 
Check out my next post sharing movies, music, tv shows, books, and more activity recommendations! 
Please everyone try to stay safe and healthy!
Sending love! 
WASH YOUR HANDS!
xo, O