GETTING TO KNOW YOU: FLAGPOLE SWIM

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Happy Hump Day y'all! Today I'm starting a new feature called "Getting to Know You", where I'll go behind the scenes and introduce you to cool new companies, designers, artists etc. As you remember, when I was in New York City this past summer I met up with the oh so incredible gals of Flagpole, where we hung out, shot nerf guns, talked swimwear and SCAD. As always, any visit with Jaime and Megan is a good one.

But okay okay, let me back up for a bit, basically I was first introduced to the bomb swimwear company Flagpole two summers ago when I went on a fashion trip to NYC with the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts after winning in the Teen Stylin' Fashion Show. (*breath* run on sentence I know, but bare with me) It was the Summer after my senior year and I was headed to SCAD for the first time that fall. Turns out, one of the stellar co-founders and designers and just all around superstars of Flagpole, Jaime, also went to SCAD! So we got chatting... flash forward a year to last Summer, I was headed to New York and knew I wanted to stop in, take some pics, and say hi. I thought it was about time y'all got to know Flagpole too. AND what a better time than now, because TODAY they've launched their Summer 2018 collection!! Super duper exciting, be sure to check that out too :)
FLAGPOLE THEN:
For Jaime, her first job was working in a factory that produced swimwear. However, she realized that what she wanted didn't exist. She wanted something that looked cool, was easy to move in, and was built well. Feeling like that niche was missing, she realized she could start her own. Everything all made sense at once, the idea for Flagpole came so naturally, everything was there and just waiting for her to run with it. So, in 2011 Jaime and Megan got together and explored the idea of Flagpole, then to be launched in 2014.
FLAGPOLE NOW:
Wondering where the name came from? Well, co-founders Jaime and Megan actually grew up together near a beach in Florida, on that beach there was a flagpole... enough said.

Flagpole is proud to be a brand that is made in the USA. They are a small brand where everything is all in one place (NYC Fashion District) This way, it is much easier to maintain quality control of the products, which is SO important, especially when producing such high quality goods.

Flagpole stands for function first, and then fashion. When creating the suits, the first priority is to make sure you aren't limited. The suits are both highly sturdy and highly fashionable, so even the most athletic women can look fabulous. Trust me when I say this, I have a few suits and they are the most comfortable, durable, and all around 100% best suits I've ever owned.
THE FUTURE OF FLAGPOLE:
While Flagpole started as a swimwear company, they are evolving into a lifestyle brand. Slowly building out the next steps for a woman who can outfit her whole vacation, and maybe even her whole family! Today, Flagpole launched their first ever line of men's suits! 
Flagpole also plans to branch out to beauty.
THE FACES BEHIND FLAGPOLE:
Jaime Barker and Megan Balch were best friends growing up, they went to high school together, split off for college, but joined forces to start Flagpole in 2011 (launched in 2014). They always knew they wanted to work together, being that they are both very entrepreneurial, passionate and have the same taste. These (barely 30 years old) ((like, WHAT!)) boss babes work so well together, they rarely disagree and if they do it's for the best, they've got the same goal and work to push each other towards greatness. Talk about sisterhood y'all, I'm seriously jealous.
Overall, Flagpole is an incredible brand, built by women, for women, and made in the USA too?! What's not to love!? Be sure to browse their suits and more online, here.

That pretty much wraps the first ever edition of Getting To Know You! Let me know what you guys think about this feature! I think it will be cool to go around and meet some designers, local boutique owners, or really even just some dope people and introduce y'all to them through the blog :)

Thank you so much Jaime and Megan for letting me come hang out with you guys!!
xo, O

Follow @Flagpole on Instagram


No comments

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?